Welcome to Murray Edwards! We’re so looking forward to meeting you all. We are a big group this year, including quite a few JCR members joining us in the MCR for the next phase of their study.
The MCR Committee has planned some low-key events over the next few weeks so you can all get to know each other and the College. These social events are all optional, but we hope you’ll come along and say hi!
There are also events put on by the Graduate Union and the Cambridge University Students Union, and your departments will probably have some welcome events as well.
Murray Edwards MCR Events
Most of our events will be in the MCR, which is on the ground floor of Canning and Eliza House. If you’re unsure, just ask the Porters Lodge (aka Plodge).
Every day at 2pm: tea and biscuits in the MCR
Sat 29 Sept to Sun 7 Oct
One of us will be at the MCR each afternoon to answer your questions, help you find your bearings or just to have a cup of tea.
Wed 26 Sep, 6pm: Dinner together in Dome for those already in residence (at own cost… Dome is pretty cheap)
Thu 27 Sep 7pm: Welcome to Medwards! Join us in the MCR after dinner for a few activities and games to get to know your college-mates.
Fri 28 Sep – COMPSULSORY: Matriculation Day.
- College has a full afternoon of events planned. After formal dinner, join us in the MCR for drinks and snacks… this is a very Cambridge tradition!
Sat 29 Sep, 11am: Meet us at Plodge at 11am for stroll in to town. We’ll have lunch at the market square and then punting for those who are keen (family friendly! partners and kids are very welcome).
Sun 30 Sep
- 10:30am – COMPULSORY: Welfare & Safety Talk by porters, police, fire service and St John’s Ambulance
- Before the Porter’s talk: free breakfast in Dome
- After the Porters’ talk: We’ll be available to answer any questions to help you get ready for the first week of classes… finding a bicycle, nearest supermarket, where to find cheap printing, etc.
Mon 1 Oct, 7pm: Q&A about life in Cambridge. Ask us anything about life in Cambridge and at the University. Life, study, work, travel, social life… anything!
Tue 2 Oct, 7pm: Pizza and movie night – we’ve got a big projector in the MCR so we’ll make some popcorn and eat some pizza (family friendly!)
Wed 3 Oct
- 7pm: Gateway professional development programme.This is the first in a series of professional development events for Graduates. Tonight’s session is on “academic expectations and practices in graduate study”. College is making a real effort this year to put on sessions that are tailored to grad student needs, and if you come along to 4 sessions, you can apply for funding for travel, training or professional development.More about Gateway here: https://www.murrayedwards.cam.ac.uk/news/our-blogs/gateway-challenges
- 8pm: Corridor tea parties. Grab some tea, wine and snacks from us in the MCR and get to know the others on your corridor. For those living out, we’ll get together for a chat in the MCR about living out of college.
Thu 4 Oct, 7pm: Welfare and dessert! Find out about the support networks available to us at Cambridge, with a guest from the Graduate Union, our LGBTQ+ support person and Emma, the Exec Graduate Tutor.
Fri 5 Oct – lots of options this evening!
- 7pm (Dome): Film screening of ‘Cléo from 5 to 7’, thanks to the New Hall Art Collection >> Facebook event
- 7pm: The MCR has a legit amazing range of board games. BYO drinks and snacks (family friendly!).
- 10pm: Lucy Bop! Our neighbours at Lucy Cav are hosting a party. Super cheap drinks and cheesy dancing. If you’re keen, meet in the MCR at 9.45 and we’ll head over together.
- For those who’d rather get out and see the Cambridge nightlife, there will be loads of student events going on.
Sat 6 Oct
- 9am: London day out! Museums/galleries in the morning and sightseeing in the afternoon. RSVP for London day out here (approx cost £20 for trains, £10 for lunch, museums are free) >> Google form
- evening: St Edmund’s College bop >> Facebook event
Sun 7 Oct, 6pm: Cambridge pub night… join us for a chilled out pub night, somewhere central, hopefully with some live music!
Mon 8 Oct, 7:30pm: Games night in Churchill MCR, nice and chilled lots of games available and cheap drinks at their bar. This will be held in the Churchill MCR from 7:45pm we will meet in our MCR at 7.35pm to walk over as a group. They have lots of games but we can also bring our own.
Tues 9 Oct, 6.45pm: first MEdwards formal hall for the term! This is free for grad students but you must book ahead. They’re held most Tuesdays during term >> more details here
Thurs 11 Oct, 2pm: MCR coffee and chat – every Thursday afternoon during term, it’s just a chance to chill out
Fri 12 Oct: Hills college bar crawl. More details on that later but definitely a fun way to go around colleges and meet new people.
After that…. more events to come! We’re planning some parties with our neighbours at Churchill and Fitz, some talks with interesting guests, a running group, a Diwali celebration and more. Please do let us know what sort of events and support you’d like us to organise to make your time at Cambridge amazing.