Each week, the Murray Edwards MCR committee will share some of the opportunities and events coming up around Cambridge.
Please send your suggestions and announcements to firstname.lastname@example.org
Events- Academic and Professional
Right Team, Right Funding, Right Time? Fireside Chat with Yervand Sarkisyan
Hughes Hall Enterprise Society invites you to our next fireside talk. Come and meet Yervand Sarkisyan, tech entrepreneur and investor, who will be sharing his experiences of building startups and raising funding in the UK and Silicon Valley while leveraging talent and the ecosystem in Armenia. All welcome – students alumni and those from outside of the college.
Yervand is an investor, advisor and tech entrepreneur based in London. He is a co-founder and partner at Granatus Ventures, an early stage venture capital firm investing in tech startups in Europe, USA and Armenia and helping them to build engineering teams in Armenia. Yervand is also a co-founder of a digital product agency and a venture accelerator called Agnian, helping to launch new products. He has recently co-founded Artbeep.com an online art platform with focus of connecting best artists, curators and art-lovers worldwide. Yervand holds a Master in Finance with Distinction from London Business School and has degrees in math and computer science. He also has completed a leadership program at the University of Cambridge.
Thursday 9th November, 7-9pm
Pfeiffer Room, Margaret Wileman Building, Hughes Hall, Wollaston Road, Cambridge, CB1 2EW
Information Session regarding Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Fellows Program
Please join Keena Kaye, Sr. Manager in HR at the Gates Foundation and Timothy Attoye, Gates Global Health Fellow for a presentation on Friday November 10th at 5 PM in the Gates Scholars Common Room, 2ndFloor of the University Centre. Keena and Timothy will share the work of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and information about the Gates Fellowship program (http://gates.ly/2ijnxLJ). Whether you are interested in opportunities in 2018 or longer-term at the Gates Foundation we encourage you to join us for the presentation followed by a question and answer session.
The two year Fellowships are targeted towards early career researchers who have a graduate degrees with at least three years of work or research experience. Fellows work on crosscutting projects across the foundation teams of Global Development, Global Health, Global Policy and Advocacy and US Program.
Any questions can be directed at Rebecca Love (email@example.com)
MOVIE NIGHT November 17th at 8pm!!!
Graduates are welcome to attend the MCR movie night event which will be located in the Murray Edwards Bar. That’s right a movie night in a BAR! Pizza and popcorn will be provided for people that sign up in advance, and drinks (alcoholic or nonalcoholic) can be purchased from the bar. There are bean bags and chairs available, but you are encouraged to bring a blanket or something soft to sit on. Also, please help us pick the movie with our poll on the Facebook group!
Use this link to sign up:
Careers and Volunteering
McKinsey & Company: Expedition 2018 Alpine Event
McKinsey & Company is very excited to invite you to apply for a 4 day (all expenses paid) Expedition 2018 event in Kitzbuhel, Austria.
What’s in it for you?
- Select 3 out of 14 different workshops from our industry (e.g. Banking, Pharma, Transport & Logistics), functional (e.g. Operations, Finance, Marketing, Sustainability) and our new delivery models (e.g. Digital McKinsey, Implementation and Advanced Analytics).
- Develop your personal skills and choose 2 out of 10 leadership trainings (e.g. Young Leaders Forum, Negotiation, SCRUM, and more).
- Join three of McKinsey’s most senior leaders to learn more about their personal journey at McKinsey, what made them apply and stay as well as their plans for the future
- Get the chance to meet more than 20 colleagues leading the workshops as well as deep-dive through 1-to-1 coaching.
- Finally, build your professional and personal network with 100+ participants like yourself from all of Europe.
Expedition 2018 is open to all young professionals with up to 6 years’ of work experience or last stage Master, PhD, and post doc students.
Find more information and apply online via the website: expedition.mckinsey.com
Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org should you have any questions.
Application deadline is November 20th, 2017.
Do you want to face the biggest global challenges of the next 30 years?
Welcome to GapSummit 2018, the flagship event of Global Biotech Revolution. This event is the first global and inter-generational leadership summit in biotechnology. Come and meet the current leader of today and become a future leader of tomorrow. GapSummit will be held from the 16th to the 18th of April 2018 at the University of Cambridge, UK. The conference includes a full experience of the historic town of Cambridge, one of the leading biotech clusters of the world.
Applications close on 30th of November 2017; applications are likely to be competitive, early registration is advised.
Seven Reasons to Apply:
- Be an ambassador for your country with 100 other Leaders of Tomorrow (students, researchers, early-stage professionals and entrepreneurs) from around the world.
- Meet international Leaders of Today, including biotech CEOs, venture capitalists, policy makers and research pioneers.
- Network with potential employers and discover career opportunities with the most influential companies and academic institutes, such as Roche Group, AstraZeneca, MedImmune and McKinsey.
- Identify long term career plans in line with the future trends and opportunities highlighted at the summit.
- Gain an awareness of the “bigger picture”. Discuss the current global bio-economy and the grand challenges to be solved by 2050.
- Conceptualize and develop ideas to impact society now. Compete in the Voices of Tomorrow business plan competition and win seed funding and additional mentoring opportunities.
- Meet talented peers, dine and enjoy the surroundings of one of the finest universities in the world!
GBR will cover accommodation and most meals during GapSummit 2018 for all successful applicants. Limited travel awards will be available on a competitive basis.
For more information, visit the website.